Monday, January 25, 2010

Knit O Rama Means New Ideas for Projects


Knit O Ramas are a great time for me. I learn things from my students and I hope they learn something too. Friday was no exception.

I tried to find my way through the beginning of knitting 2 socks at a time on one long circular. I think the method may be valid. Now if I can just figure out how to split the hanks/skeins of sock yarn I have that are 400+ yards. I researched a tool I found at KnitPicks - the yardage counter - and thought that $50 was a bit spendy. However, I can justify that I will only have to buy it once. The other method is to weigh the yarn and wind off half the weight. Not sure how that will work if the yarn has to go on the swift.

So I have evaluated the needles I have and plan to do at least one pair like this to see how it all works. More knowledge is good. I hope everyone is learning new ways to do things!

1 comment:

Cathy R said...

I split yarn by weight all the time, just using my ball winder, swift and a cheap electronic scale that I got at Bed Bath and Beyond (with a coupon).

Step 1: put all of the yarn into one ball, using the swift and ball winder.

Step 2: Put ball on scale, figure out what half of the weight is.

Step 3: Use ball winder to make second ball of yarn, leaving the first ball of yarn on the scale so that you can closely monitor the weight. STOP when the weight equals half of the original.

This works very well and my scale was cheaper than $50. It was about $30, I think, but I think I went top of the line.