Sunday, August 2, 2009

Travel Tips for Knitters

This upcoming trip to the Sock Summit has me stymied. I have my suitcases ready to travel. I have whittled done my basic necessities in regards to clothing and bathroom essentials, and packed my knitting homework and all sharp or "potentially dangerous" knitting tools (according to Homeland Security and TSA) into a bag to be checked.

Now I have to commiserate with the Yarn Harlot - what to I pack for travel knitting? I want something that can keep me in knitting for at least 6-8 hours, in case there are delays and can be done on non-threatening type needles. And for this trip it should probably be a sock, since I am going to the premier, now globally known and cheered, all socks all the time, Sock Summit in Portland.

With that in mind, I chose a sock pattern I have been meaning to knit ever since it was published in Knitty.com. Okay, now don't laugh, it is the Monkey Sock by Cookie A. This will be my first attempt at any of her patterns. I have the first sock on the needles and two repeats of the Monkey Lace pattern completed so I know what I am doing and it will not require lots of pattern page turning while crammed into an airline seat. I even have another skein of yarn in case I finish both socks and need to cast on another pair for the trip home. Imagine, I have to take a spare on the chance I won't see any sock yarn on my travels. Okay, I can hear those loud guffaws from here. :-)

Since I am going to a place I have not been in years I plan to do some sightseeing outside the Summit. To accomplish that and stay within my budget I have devised some money-stretching ideas into my plan, like stopping in at Trader Joe's and stocking up on some foodstuffs for the room fridge.

I am staying at a hotel that is walking distance to the convention center and sharing the room with a gal I know from Ravelry to cut that cost. Being based there will allow me to not need to rent a car and have the added experience of learning the highly-acclaimed public transportation system.

My souvenir plan is to buy some postcards to mail from the Washington Park Railway which has its own cancellation stamp, send some to friends and family and one to myself for my collection. And, of course, bring home some signature sock yarn. I plan to take lots of pictures to share with my blog of my adventures both in fiber land and out.


My thought is this: the very idea of going on vacation means treating yourself to a special experience, seeing new things, and meeting new people. If you refuse yourself that museum admission, or that meal at a restaurant you’ve been dying to try, or the tour you’ve dreamed of taking, then what is the point of even leaving home in the first place?

As you can see, this trip is all about the bags and the yarn. I have packed and repacked this weekend trying to keep it compact and easily moved from baggage claim to MAX light rail cars and back. I think I have managed to accomplish this goal. Time will tell.

No comments: