Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Help, I Need Sock Yarn!


And so it begins, For me it started around 4 a.m this morning with last minute housecleaning (I hate to go on a trip and come home to a messy house) and packing. Then it was off to the Denver airport for my flight to Portland. Since I am travelling to a convention of like-minded people I figured I needed an identifier that fit the situation. The part you cannot see under that post-it is the fact that I did run out of sock yarn about halfway down the foot of the sock and just knit the toe to finish. It looks like a sock for a club foot baby. So I will be looking for some fabulous yarn that I just cannot leave in Portland.

On the flight I met a great gal from Crestone who is attending the Summit to help a friend with her booth. We had a lovely visit and knit while we winged towards Portland.

MAX trains are great. The light rail system in Portland is recognized as award winning and I totally agree. It was so easy to buy a ticket and get on board right from baggage claim and arrive at the Convention Center. I am staying at a hotel across the street and within walking distance of all things socks for the next few days. Ahhh, the luxury.

I left my bags at luggage storage at the hotel and hopped the MAX to the Oregon Zoo, Washington Park Railway and International Test Rose Gardens. What a fun time. I will share some pictures here and then go on with my adventurous tale...

And my favorite picture from the zoo is of this Stellar Sea Lion performing for the folks in the underwater viewing area. I believe he thinks they have put in a people aquarium just for him.

The train winds through the hilly expanse they call Washington Park to the stop at the International Test Rose Garden and the Japanese Garden. I remembered as we wended our way through the huge trees and acres of ferns why I liked the Pacific Northwest.

And the scent of the Rose Gardens was indescribable. I reminded me of my childhood in California and the roses my grandmother and mother tended in our yard. It was amazing.

Then I came back and checked in, saw all the teachers for the Summit gathering in the lobby, and went out for a fun visit to Trader Joe' for now $3 buck Chuck wine and snacks with the gals I met from Colorado.



Before I called it an evening I picked up my registration and swag at the convention center under the Dragon Boat...

and found some dinner at Burgerville. Yummy fresh blackberry smoothie.
Tomorrow I have three classes and the marketplace opens for students only for a couple hours of high excitement. After that is Opening Ceremonies where we will get to applaud the hard work and visionary efforts of the Sock Team.

I will be adding other pictures from my adventures in future posts especially more from the Zoo and Rose Garden. I hope you are having a fabulous week as well!

2 comments:

Jax Bubis said...

Donna, What fun. It's great to be able to see all your adventures. Makes me determined to learn how to knit socks. Thinking of you...

Jennifer Graff said...

Looks like you had a good time! I can't wait to hear all your stories!