Thursday, April 22, 2010

My Knitting Loves to Travel



I chose simple patterns to work on while I traveled this week to and from St. Louis. I have a couple of reasons for that: one, it is easier for people-watching at the airports and for visiting with others; and two, it is easy to put it down at any time.

I arrived at the Denver airport this morning in a downpour. I thought I would have to take a rowboat to the terminal, so I sat in the car to eat my picnic lunch and waited for the worst to subside before going to the shuttle. As you may realize I allow enough time to be a leisurely traveller.

I got through check in and security with no delays then sat at the gate and watched the ground crews work. It is amazing to see and realize that it one baggage cart is out of order my bag could end up somewhere else on their roster of flights for the day.

While I waited I cast on and started knitting Mini Handwarmers by "Missa" Hills of kpixie. I wanted to see how far I could get before we boarded the plane. We left Denver about 10 minutes late and I knit through the flight to St. Louis while humming Meet Me in St. Louis from the movie of the same name sung by Judy Garland.

Lambert Field St. Louis International Airport is an old airport with limited acreage to expand so the newish East Terminal is away from the main one and I accessed it by shuttle. I rode over to Main to meet the hotel shuttle and thought about the movie Up In The Air, which many scenes were filmed in Concourse D of the main terminal.

I arrived at the Sheraton Westport Plaza in time to check in, pick up my registration packet and my wonderful cupcakes and get ready for dinner at Casa Gallado, good food and fun. Met several new folks (The gals from Iowa are a saucy bunch) and got in some knitting.

Went back and visited at the Knitting Lounge where Sheri introduced her team including her parents, husband and son aka the infamous WebGuy and made us all feel very welcome. After some fabulous dessert I called it an early night because my schedule says that I have two classes back to back tomorrow and a 9 p.m. photo class.

Best get some sleep so I can keep it all in my head.

NOTE: Aisle seats on Southwest do not offer fullsize under the seat storage, you are better off sitting in a middle seat.

No comments: