Sunday, September 6, 2009

What Did I Learn New This Weekend?

I have been renting and viewing Lucy Neatby's DVDs from the library to determine which one I will need to own first. Hers are like having a long class that you can replay anytime you need to refresh your memory on something you don't do over and over. And for the cost of the DVD that is a bargain. You can order them online and, yesterday, I found some on sale at my local Joann's store.

From Neatby's Sock Knitting Techniques 1 I finally learned the Channel Island Cast On. Up to this point I had seen it explained in books and on patterns but never found a way to learn it on my own. The video was very clear in its explanation and showing of the technique. I recommend to start out learning it on worsted weight yarn so you can see what it is supposed to look like before trying it on fingering weight for a sock.

It creates a lovely little knotted, picot-looking edge which runs into the ribbing, blending it magicly. I can hardly weight to use it on the top down sock project or the new cable ear flap hat project that I am making for a shop sample to see how it will look in the finished piece overall and not just on an inch of cast on fabric.

I hope everyone is finding new ways to do the things they love!

Note: I borrowed the picture from one of the best tutorials that I found on this cast on.

1 comment:

KnittingKel said...

I like that cast on, it leaves a really pretty edge. Thanks for sharing the link to the tutorial.