Friday, September 11, 2009

Lesson Learned: Using the Right Tool for the Job


Recently I bought supplies to make some fun row counters that I will use as gifts and may sell a few. I got all the parts out and started trying to put them together and realized that 10mm split rings are not easy to open and slide the other slip ring into.



So I looked through my jewelry tools and nothing I had was going to work. So I went online to see how to manipulate split rings other than wrecking my fingernails. Guess what I learned? There is a such a thing as split ring pliers.



So now I own a pair and they work like a charm. My fingernails thank me. I created a test model to try on my own knitting and I like it.

I will be making some more with a little larger split ring which is the part that rides on the needles. This is a great row counter idea for scarf knitters because when you get to the split ring you have to do something with it, not like the barrel style or clicker row counter which you have to remember to pick up at the end of a row and do something with. With scarves you are not knitting that many stitches across and can get to knitting row after row and forget to count.

I hope everyone has all the correct tools to do what they love!

No comments: