Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Combining New Techniques: Channel Island Cast On

I found a basic pattern for an earflap hat with cables. I was planning to use the Thorpe Hat pattern however it has me stymied because of its top-down construction. The cast on begins with 3 or 4 stitches on 3 or 4 dpns which is very tough to hang onto. I have found a cast on that will work however I want a hat NOW. So I will save that pattern for another time when I am not is such a hurry to get a finished product.


I started this hat on Saturday and I am down to the last cable pattern repeat. I wanted something where I could use the Channel Island cast on. Since this cast on is very fussy about not twisting it while you cast it on, I chose to do it on a straight needle then knit the first row off onto the circular that I would use to knit the hat. It worked like a charm. Next step was to start the pattern and mark each pattern repeat with the very simple and pretty markers that I have recently made for sale on my Etsy shop. These I am using will fit up to a size 7 needle which is perfect for my hat projects.

Then I added a new version of row counter jewelry to the edge of the hat instead of hanging it off the cast on tail. It works much better and I plan to make some of these to sell as well.

The knitting is going very fast and I hope to have it done and ready to display on Sunday at the big birthday bash at Nuts and Bolts. My plan for finishing is to add I-cord and braid tail to the top and braids to the bottom of the earflaps.

I hope everyone is finding fun projects to start the Fall season!

No comments: