Thursday, September 3, 2009

How To Mix Knitting and Reading

Prior to my current knitting schedule (craze, obsession) I was an avid reader. Like movies, I will read anything with a preference for thrillers and mysteries, as well as travel memoirs. Once I took up knitting in all my spare, and seemingly, leisure time I found that I could not knit and read a book at the same time without dire results in the fabric.

So I took up audio books. There are some downsides to this like availability in anything but the most current releases by the most popular authors. As a matter of fact, I am number 110 or 132 patiently waiting for the release of Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol which is the sequel to the Da Vinci Code, in audiobook at my library. Obviously, it will be a while. I usually "read" while en route to and from work, my commute is about 25 minutes. Then I also "read" in the car at lunch while I knit on my portable projects, as pictured above, currently this is sock projects. So, I can get a book read in about a week of commute and lunch time. Also, I have books loaded on my Creative Zen player that I can listen to while traveling or cleaning house. Those take longer to read because I usually clean house to a favorite, much watched movie that I do not have to actually watch, just listen to.

In the evenings at home I knit while watching movies. As I have said in the past, for some movies I have had to put the knitting down to watch the action so not to lose my place. Most of the time I can watch, listen and knit simultaneously without a problem. I love my Netflix membership. It is my well-spent entertainment budget every month.

Recently I made a command decision that there are some books I really want to read and have not found on audiobook, like Julie and Julia. So my evening schedule changed a bit to accommodate that wish. I knit and watch a movie. When the movie is done I put down the knitting, turn off the TV and read a chapter before bed.

It is working very well so far. I am really enjoying the book. It is all a matter of organizing your time to fit all the things you want to do into the finite amount of time we are given each day.

I hope everyone has all the time they want to do the things they love!

Note: Tinkerbell bag was purchased at WalMart; Hot sauce bag is a Sock It Suzie wrister bag designed by Wendy Sloneker and purchased from her at Sock Summit. This is the handiest bag for sock knitters that I have found. And for those of you who know me, I am the bag queen. :-)

3 comments:

Cathy R said...

I really like knitting to books on CD. I just finished my last one last night, so I guess that it is time to go to the library.

Love the new sock bag.

twinsetellen said...

I challenge you to read and knit at the same time! I know you can do it. As EZ taught, try just one stitch with your eyes closed. Now try two. Etc. In a few weeks you'll be knitting (stockinette, anyway) without having to watch all the time. I get a lot of reading done when I have a stockinette project going. It is a great way to combine two loves. (Your approaches are good, too!)

Anonymous said...

Hi! Thanks for having me on your blog list! Thats sweet. I will work harder to move up to the "favorite" blogs. Maybe more knitting. Okay I promise to get back to the knitting...