Saturday, September 19, 2009

Talk Like A Pirate Day




Ahoy mateys! It is International Talk Like A Pirate Day. I plan to take full advantage of this even though I did not get enough stuff together this year to do in regalia. I am living vicariously through the Oregon Life blog out of Portland where they are hosting a full blown celebration complete with re-enactment actors. Wish I was there, I am thinking about going next year.

Brief history about how this got started provided by Wikipedia:


International Talk Like a Pirate Day (ITLAPD) is a parodic holiday created in 1995 by John Baur (Ol' Chumbucket) and Mark Summers (Cap'n Slappy), of Albany, Oregon,[1] who proclaimed September 19 each year as the day when everyone in the world should talk like a pirate.[1] For example, an observer of this holiday would greet friends not with "Hello," but with "Ahoy, me hearty!" The holiday, and its observance, springs from a romanticized view of the Golden Age of Piracy.


So this pirate wench is off to tackle some mainsails, do some swashbuckle knitting and maybe "lift a noggin of rum" later. I hope everyone has at least one "Aaargh" moment today and none of the "walk the plank" fear.


No comments: