Friday, March 5, 2010

Tinkering with a Pattern

I am notorious for tinkering with recipes and am finding that I do the same with knitting patterns. To clarify, with knitting patterns it is not about changing the design of the knit, it is about rewriting sections of a pattern to make it easier to read.

As an example, I am currently working on a fabulous pattern by Stephen West, the Colonnade Shawl, and found that reading the lace stitch section in paragraph format was causing me problems.

So, I copy, pasted, enlarged the text and unkinked it from the paragraph to read one line at a time for each section across the row of the lace technique. Now I am using my highlighter tape and a row counter to keep me on track.

The other adjustment I made to the pattern was in the beginning stockinette section. Once you have done the set up row, the next two rows are repeated for a certain number of even rows to create the shoulder section of the shawl. It ends with a knit right side row. The lace section begins with a knit right side row. Does anyone else see a problem here? So I just added one more of the wrong side row and, voila! it worked like a charm. It's the little things that make knitting fun.

I hope that everyone is finding fun and creative ways to spend their days~!

No comments: