Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Progress Report: Colonnade Shawl


Each time I try a lace pattern I learn something new. This time I am learning that it is very important to have the correct number of stitches in the right places before you start the lace sections.

I ripped out the Colonnade shawl again last night and started over. I think that I had forgotten one yarnover in the solid color section, so when I cheated, and just did a M1 I got off track because I did not move the stitch markers to signify the new set up of stitches.

Another note: the outside sections have one stitch more in them than do the inner sections between stitch markers. That number keeps growing but it is always one extra in the outer sections. That helps when you are looking for a mistake.

The other tool I think I will incorporate into this project is the use of a lifeline. I think I will run it through the last solid color row before the lace section begins so if I goof it up again I will not have to start from the beginning again. And I will count stitches on each row as I complete it so I know that it is correct. These little things do not take that much time and save time later.

Knitting is like having your own guru on the top of a mountain~!

No comments: