Sunday, March 7, 2010

Back on the Needles Again


This attempt at the beaded scarf got started a little differently than last time. Since the scarf is knit in two halves and grafted in the middle and you have to put half the beads on the yarn for each section, it made sense to me to try my new scale to split the yarn in half.

I got the scale to split skeins of sock yarn for when I do toe up socks and want to have them turn out using all the available yarn. I set it first for ounces and discovered for yarn purposes it is better to have it set for grams.

First step: weigh the skein of yarn in total. Second step: divide the total by two. Third step: leave the skein on the scale and start winding off the yarn, watch the number until you get to the halfway point, stop, cut and start winding the second ball.

This is a food scale that I found at Bed Bath and Beyond and got to use a coupon. It was an inexpensive purchase that will offer me some wider options. I think that is a great buy.

I strung the first half of the beads onto the first ball and will be casting on this afternoon to get the scarf started. I love the color combo on this one.

One of the things I am discovering about this scarf is: If you do not buy it in kit form, you probably want to buy the beads first and then take them to match to some yarn. There are many many more choices of fingering weight yarn in variegated colors than there are bead colors to match.

If you want to buy the yarn and beads separate from a kit you must know that you need: Yarn - at least 200 yards of fingering weight and, Beads: 2100-2400 seed beads (or E beads) in size 6/0. The pattern can be purchased from Interlacements.

This is a really fun knit and makes beautiful gifts for friends and family. It is worth the time to figure it out and find the supplies. I hope everyone has fabulous discoveries in their passion-view~!

Note: in the top picture only one-third of the beads are pictured. I got 12 tubes of beads with approx 200 beads per. Mom and I found them at BeaZu in Old Colorado.

No comments: