Friday, December 18, 2009

Cowl Mania


Many cowls have been knit on my needles this week. I really like this pattern, Cowl'd and Frosty, and have 6 knit at this time. I have at least 2 or 3 more to do before the big day. Why do I like cowls? Because it does not have long tails to get caught in car doors, or to sit on and choke yourself while driving. They are easy to stick in a coat pocket, or drop in your purse or pack in your to-go bag.

I am making these out of Lion Brand Wool-Ease so they are machine washable. I had to adjust the pattern for worsted weight by casting on 81 stitches and using size 9 US circulars in a 16-inch length. The finished product is measuring out at 22-inch circumference and 7-inches long. They also will make a great headwarmer if you need one.

My next plan with this pattern is to try 71 stitches on 9s and knit an extra two or three repeats of the 15 row pattern to get a better head covering. It will be like an open end hat without the crown shaping. I am going to try that idea for one for me out of all the leftover yarn from these projects.

I have gotten two cowls out of a skein of Wool-Ease with some leftover. I am also going to be making a couple out of Cascade 220 to match visor beanies.

I hope everyone is enjoying the pre-season! Stay warm wherever you are!

No comments: