Saturday, June 27, 2009

Summer is Here: Farmer's Market Shopping



This is my favorite thing to do early on Saturday mornings in the summer. The smell of roasting chilis and fresh basil is the best aroma I can think of.

I like to go the one in Old Colorado at Bancroft Park around 7:30 a.m. It is not too crowded and everyone is chatting and comparing growing notes with each other.

Today I scored fresh, Colorado-grown cherries for Dad, fresh basil and squashes for me. I wanted Peaches and Cream corn but it is not out yet. Hopefully by next weekend someone will have some. I plan to do fresh marinara for this week's suppers and a squash medley.

This week there were several flower and herb vendors there. The flowers from Dawn's Creations were spectactular. She has orchids like I have never seen.

Then, on my way to the coffee shop to do this post OTR (on the road), I found something better than "Snakes on the Plane", I found "snakes in the yard". Old Colorado has some hidden treasures to be sure.

I hope everyone is discovering beauty and joy today!

PS. I am not a fan of snakes so have not seen the movie "Snakes on a Plane."

2 comments:

Cathy R said...

Oh, that farmer's market looks like FUN!

Jax Bubis said...

Donna,
What is peaches and cream corn? And I'm not a big fan of snakes either. I was throwing the stick for Toby in my back yard a few weeks back and happened on one. ICK. And we've seen them twice on the riverwalk. I called to find out what kind they were - with Toby with us, it's a concern. They told me they were most likely bull snakes and that bull snakes are our friend (yeah, right) because where there are bull snakes, there are fewer rattlers.

I haven't seen the movie either.
Cheers...