Friday, June 12, 2009

Let the Jubilation Begin: FLS is Done




Note: Pedro is planning on sleeping because he is worn out from the celebration dance and ready for momma's lap to be free again.


My first February Lady Sweater is done!

In the several-things-I-learned category:
1). Make the first one out of a yarn that you will wear with your jeans, however, did not spend a life savings on. This way I am not overly concerned that it turned out a size too big or has a few mistakes, er, unplanned design elements in it.


2). Count and recount when you are making up your own sleeve ending. I knit the sleeves to be elbow length by using 5 repeats of the lace pattern, three rows of knit (equalling stockinette when done in the round) and garter stitch for seven ridges with a Galina bind off. All this worked until I convinced myself that I had done six ridges of garter on the first sleeve and held that notion until the second sleeve was off the needles and I was happlily weaving in the ends. Oops... Oh well, I will know better next time.


3). Use a stitch marker for each lace repeat so you cannot get lost. This gull wing lace pattern is done over a 7-stitch repeat and the marker keeps you on track in case you make a mistake you only have to tink back a short way to correct it.

4). This particular pattern grows while you knit it in more ways than one. Take your chest measurement and determine what size that equals then go down one size. I think it is because of the garter stitch and the lace that makes it grow wider. That is even after a concentrated gauge swatch to determine needle size.

I really enjoyed this knit and plan to make another one soon, already have the yarn in my stash.

I hope everyone is finding wonderful projects to work on!

2 comments:

Cathy R said...

it is a beautiful sweater and was the hit of the Wool Fest.

I will never forget the look on the ladies' faces when you said what it was made from...

Jax Bubis said...

It's beautiful Donna. Do you have photos wearing it?