Saturday, May 26, 2012

Camp Loopy 1 - Preparation



In order to start on time when you are knitting a 30 day project deadline, you need to be prepared. First step was to pick the project, then choose the yarn (that can take some time at Loopy Ewe - :-), and then gather your tools and review the pattern.

In this case, I chose Summer in the City by Ilga Leja from Canada. My yarn has arrived and when I read through the pattern I realized that I really needed to knit a gauge swatch. Fortunately, the pattern came with a wonderful tutorial for knitting a gauge swatch in the round.

I followed the instruction, soaked and blocked the piece and I (nearly) hit gauge. The swatch should be 8 inches wide by 4 inches long on size 7US needles over 24 stitches and 24 rows. I got 7 inches wide and 4 inches long. Not enough to go up a full needle size and I do not want to adjust cast on, so I will knit the little shoulder version first (I have plenty of yarn) and then block that to see if I need to go up a full pattern size or increase my needle size.

At least I have a beginning place for Sunday's start. This year for "camp" we are choosing what canoe to be in, I am in purple as you would expect. So, get ready to paddle~!

No comments: