Thursday, July 15, 2010

Smitten with Mittens




I have found my new love. I am all about mittens. So far, I have reviewed several patterns and have devised a pattern that works best for me. It creates plain mittens that scream out to be embellished.

In the pattern I wrote for these shown above, I have also included a template for sketching a design to embroider or crochet onto the mittens to dress them up. I will be testing this pattern at my mitten class in October and then publishing it on Ravelry.


Mittens have become my favorite portable project. They are portable, you can never have too many pairs, you can show them off without taking off your shoes (for you sock knitters out there), you can make them out of any weight yarn, they can be knit on dpns, Magic Loop, two circulars, you can make them as fancy or as plain as you want, you can practice more intricate colorwork on smaller projects than a sweater, you can practice a wide variety of stitch patterns, use up small skeins of yarn and they come with different ways to knit the thumb. And, lastly, they knit up faster than most wearable projects.

A couple notes of things that will add to your knitten mitten enjoyment, one is Ann Budd's book, The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns. It goes through how to create the pattern using any yarn weight for any size mitten you want to knit. A very "handy" book. You can also find a great KAL for mitten knitten at KnitPicks with Kelley Petkun. It is a great way to learn to knit them with Magic Loop and various thumb methods.

I hope everyone has a favorite thing that goes with them when they travel~!

No comments: