Saturday, January 17, 2009

Saturday Night: Dead or Alive Fish Hat and Book Review

I lead an exciting life. Once I get home, I stay in and usually find a myriad of entertainment in my own home. Tonight is was Gone With The Wind, steaming the Ooh La La scarf sample and finishing the matching cuff for delivery tomorrow. For the cuff, I think it will be a Michael Jackson special since I do not have time to finish its mate before delivery.

Last week at the Copper Creek Knitters meeting I was reminded of the hat pattern from Knitty.com Winter 2008. It is the funniest thing I have seen in a while and I want to knit one, the Dead or Alive Fish Hat. Someone mentioned that there are lots of good ideas @ Ravelry so I went "fishing." There are lots of versions of the hat in all colors and sizes and yarn weights. I think I have enough leftovers from my 20o8 gift knitting to make one for myself. Now I need to see if someone has done a Great White Shark version. Hehe...

While my mom was here, after our shopping trip to buy her new pants - congrats on shrinking out of your other ones :-) we looked at the books that arrived in the mail. She had seen the Knitted Flowers by Nicky Epstein, but neither of us had seen her Signature Scarves. It is a delight of ingenuity and dazzling photography. We especially liked the Oak Leaves, where each leaf is knit and felted separately then sewn together. It looks like there are about 40 leaves to knit. Quite a project. Then we thought the Mouse Trap one was very unique. The base of the scarf looks like swiss cheese and it has a knitted mouse pin to hold it together. Very fun. Another interesting thing the back of the book is a section on how to tie a scarf, pictured with several variations on a relatively plain scarf. It proves that scarves do not have to be just a boring knit.

And, I'd like to take this opportunity to send out a big Happy Birthday greeting to my friend, Gene Vories, author of several westerns and still writing. Have a great day!

And, of course, Pedro helped entertain us in his usual fashion. All in all, a productive and fun Saturday at my house. Hope you are finding ways to entertain yourself this weekend.

Note: Pedro is six months old in this picture and he is showing me how big his paw is. Fish in bucket picture is borrowed from Knitty and Mom loves her bonsai.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the fishy hats. Want to make at least one of those for me...

Pedro at 6 months - really a cutie!!

Anonymous said...

OH, and I'm really glad that you like the books. :-)