Saturday, April 16, 2011

How Much Fun is a Long Tail Cast On?


In the past, I found the long tail cast on frustrating to say the least. Mostly because if you do not "guess" your tail measurement correctly then you have to rip it out and start over, sometimes more than once. Now some say that this is part of the "game" like Meg Swansen.

I realize that I learned how to do the Long Tail Cast On pretty darn good because I had to do it over and over and over and over and, well, you get my drift on this.

So, I discovered a formula by Nancy at KnitKnacks and we had a class on this. We tested it on every imaginable needle size and discovered that it works really well for the most used needle sizes with worsted weight. As you go up or down (higher than a 13 and lower than a 5) it starts breaking down. Our outcome opinion is that yarn size does matter in conjunction with these larger and smaller needle sizes.

All in all, it was a fun way to learn some math to go along with our knitting~!

No comments: