Sunday, January 16, 2011

Weather of the Month


I have been asked why I have not become a meterologist. I say that is in my next reinvention. I love weather and adore trying to out-guess the TV weather guys. So, once a month, I will be dealing with a weather phenom that might occur in that month.

Diamond Dust: What is it and how does it occur? According to the Weather Watcher's Calendar, it is a form of precipitation made of small, unbranched crystals of ice that fall so slowly  they seem to be floating in the air. When the light hits them they sparkle brilliantly. Diamond dust forms in calm air at bitterly cold temperatures and can even fall from a cloudless sky.

I even saw this during our recent frigid temps, when I exhaled my plume of warm breath created my own little snowstorm, how cool is that? Well, actually it was about 2-degrees Fahrenheit at the time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I still say you make up some of your "weather words". :)

~Jenn