Friday, November 26, 2010

Prepping the Sock Club for 2011

This idea came from one of the Yarn Harlot's posts. I liked it because I have watched several sock-of-the-month groups get more and more expensive and I have never felt I could afford to join. However I love to knit socks and am having fun learning all the varieties of techniques you can use to knit socks, so I have collected a lot of sock yarn (remember, at last count it was enough for 60 pairs of socks).

So I took her idea and have set up my own sock club for 2011. Currently the pile of yarn looks like this and the patterns look like this and the tub they are all going in looks like this.

I have signed up for two classes, one in December to do two toe-up socks at a time on one circular needle and the other in January to do two socks at a time on one circular cuff down. Both of these techniques are being taught from the books by Melissa Morgan-Oakes.


My guess is that my first pair of socks for the new year from the club will be knit using the technique I learn in December with a pattern from that corresponding book. I think my club idea will get me through learning these new techniques while using up some of the stash I have packaged for the occasion.

And at the end of the year of knitting socks I hope to knit a pair of Blender Socks with the leftovers. My blog goal for this club is to post the first of the month with the selection, mid-month with progress notes and end of month with the FO. Stop back to see the club's progress~!

P.S. As you can see, even Pedro is excited about the sock club.

2 comments:

Cathy R said...

What a great idea! That will be so much fun to watch next year as you progress through the various patterns. And I LOVE the blender socks, and can't wait to see those.

I've also "borrowed" the concept a bit and have an entire shelf in my stash with projects ready to grab and go. It has been useful since I set it up this summer! I've done some stash busting, for sure.

Cathy R said...

P.S. What is that deep purple variegated, second from the left on the front row? Very nice looking. Can't wait to see that knit up.