Thursday, November 4, 2010

Mystery Sock KAL - Lesson Learned

I have finished my Mystery Sock KAL with Through the Loops group on Ravelry. I really enjoyed this pattern and the yarn I used, Knitpicks Risata. And I learned some valuable lessons about mystery knitalongs. First, always have more yarn that they call for, in the picture above I have shown exactly how much I had leftover. Risata has 196 yards per skein, the knitalong called for 400 yards total, and I have never knit a pair of socks that I did not have leftover yarn at the end, so I thought that 8 yards short was not big deal - WRONG.

And I experienced that feeling that if you knit faster you can extend the length of the yarn and make it to the end, no, that does not work.

I think both socks ended up about 4 rows short of the pattern described length. They look great on and no one will ever know, except for you good people who are reading this. I hope everyone has new things that they are learning with every attempt at success~!

1 comment:

Cathy R said...

I love your socks, though I agree on the yarn requirements. Who would think that 8 yards would make such a big deal??

I was two rows and a bind off short on Multnomah, but it still looks good. I've started another shawl (from the one-skein sock book) and again I'm short, so it will be interesting to see how close I can cut this one.