Saturday, June 26, 2010

New Reading Tool: nook


As most knitters find, it is difficult to read a regular book and knit at the same time. I found that to be the case as well. And with my limited time open for leisure activities my knitting wins out over reading a book.

Since I am coming up on my fourth anniversary of knitting I thought it was time to try to conquer the read and knit. Up until now I have relied on audiobooks from the library to keep me up to date with the recent book releases. I have listened to some great books. However there are many others that I have not gotten to read because they are not available in audio format.

So, I have managed to read a hard book in the car at lunch with some fancy manuevering to keep the pages open while I knit along. It is more like book-wrestling than reading but I have managed to finish a long delayed read this past week.

As a treat to myself, (Christmas, birthday, and my July un-birthday) I went out and bought a nook - the Barnes and Noble version of an e-reader. I spent a month researching which one was the best choice and, with the help of some good customer review sites online and the gang at Ravelry.com, I finally chose the one that will give me the largest range of options as well as some audio capability and personal documents along with knitting patterns (pdf format).

So far I have some free e-books in classics and Mark Twain's travel books, plus several samples of things I might want to read in the future. It is a handy device for travel and for at home knitting when TV is just too boring or I am out of new movies to watch.

And the ability to put my pattern on it that I am using when I travel is an added plus. I hope everyone is finding ways to enjoy their leisure time~!

No comments: