Wednesday, June 30, 2010

An Interesting Number-Crunching Experiment


DSC00324, originally uploaded by anniemaude.

You remember this little guy. He was being knit while my brother and I raced across country to pick up the tent trailer this month.

Well, today I am wearing the pair of Watermelon Summer Sox to work. They are super comfy, made out of the Vesper yarn and look great with my standard black work garb.

I got to thinking about knitting socks for profit and if there is any money in it, after all it only took me 19 days to finish this pair. :-)

So here is my calculation. Let me know if you think I should knit these to sell or just for LOVE.

Completed one pair of socks in 19 days, average knitting time per day = 3 hours. 19X3 = 57 hours X Colorado minimum wage for 2010 $7.28/hour = $415 plus the cost of yarn $24 = $439.

I hope everyone is knitting for their best reasons~!

1 comment:

Cathy R said...

Hee hee hee. I love knitting math. It always makes you look impressive.

A lady on our Alaska Cruise asked Mom if she thought that I would knit her one of the dragon melody stoles.... Ummmmm, no. You can't afford it.

Another fun piece of knitting math: figure out how many stitches are in a project.