Friday, April 24, 2009

Another Discovery: On the Local GO Scene


I went to my first performance at The MAT (Manitou Art Theatre) Thursday night. It was quite the experience.

The new location of the theater is in the industrial section of southwest Colorado Springs, so the outside is very nondescript. It was a lovely evening and I had my glass of wine (that is included in the price of the ticket) on the concrete pad that is set up like a sidewalk cafe spot and watched the sunset over Pikes Peak. It was lovely.

The theater area inside is a very cozy, intimate setting. It is like being on the stage. I remember being at Center Stage in Baltimore years ago with the same impression.

The theater will hold 85 folks for a performance. The people who own and run the venue are lovely, friendly, passionate about the theater and the adventure they are offering the community. They are also the ones who put on the magical Women's Playwriting event I attended last Sunday. I think I will keep an eye on their schedule and plan to attend occasionally.

Note: graphic borrowed from The Mat website.

No comments: