Thursday, August 5, 2010

Hermione Socks


Since I finished my mom's pair of socks, I have decided to put a pair on the needles for me. I really like the looks of the Hermione Socks pattern so I decided to try it.


I am using a skein of Sockotta that I had in my stash in a now discontinued colorway so I don't know the name, however I am calling it tropical and it has lime green, orange and purple in it. It is lots of fun.

I am using the two circular method to knit these top down. The needles I am using are not making me happy so I have ordered some Knitpicks because they are smoother and more flexible. I will keep working on them and change out the needles when the others arrive. I am knitting these on size 1US (2.25 mm)

I created a couple cards for this pattern, in the picture above. One has the texture pattern on it and the other is for the heel flap. I find these are easier to read and use when I am knitting. I usually have these cards laminated and add them to the pattern sleeve so they are ready to go when I knit another pair.

I decided that I only needed 14 repeats of the waterfall texture pattern for the leg with an inch and a half of k1, p1 ribbing. That is plenty tall a sock top for me. The pattern calls for 18 repeats of the pattern.

I really like the texture stitch, it adds a little interest to the look of the sock and is not that difficult to memorize. The heel is a garter stitch modified eye of partridge and looks really good when finished. I may add that to my choices for heels on other socks. The pattern is free and can be found on Ravelry.

I hope everyone is having a great end to their summer~!

1 comment:

Cathy R said...

Those look like nice socks. I'm itching to start a new pair but am hoping to wait until I finish the red sweater.

Assuming that I FINISH the red sweater. Progress is being made, so I can't be too discouraged.

Am starting a new mindless baby blanket tonight at knitting night since I will be chatting a lot and need something that I can be distracted from.