Sunday, July 14, 2013

It All Began with A Hippo


To pursue my new interest in raw edge applique, I took a class with Jackie at Fabric Bliss yesterday.

The project is the cutest little hippo on a zippered bag. I had the purple polka dot fabric that I knew had to be the hippo, then I chose Kona grey as the background and a piece of green plaid for the inside.

The bird is fashioned out of a scrap that was colorful hearts.

It was a fun class to learn how to do the (what I am calling) thread sketching. We practiced first on a scrap piece that had lines drawn on it, to learn how to control the darning needle's progress across the fabric. It was a bit disconcerting to have a needle that went whatever way you wanted, after so many years of forward or back sewing; a liberating experience.

I like the results and will be making more of these, maybe not all hippos. Am off to look for design ideas. Happy Crafting to All~!

No comments: