Sunday, February 1, 2009

February: Days to Celebrate!







We start out the month with a bang as the groundhog is dug out of his hole to see if he will see his shadow. If he does, we get six more weeks of winter. I cannot recall a February 2nd that did not portend that in a long time.


With the promise of spring on the horizon, we move on to February 5th to celebrate Fat Tuesday. This has something to do with Mardi Gras and Lent, however I have never quite figured it all out. Maybe if I lived closer to New Orleans... I think it means that for the next two weeks you get to party it up.


On February 6th we can all Wear Red in celebration of Heart Month. And more fun than that, Monday the 9th is Read in the Bathtub Day. I think that is a great way to spend a Monday.


On February 11th I will be celebrating Satisfied Staying Single Day with my best bud, Pedro. This will be quickly followed by Friday the 13th and the biggest of love fests, Valentine's Day. Interesting combo I think.


After the chocolate and roses wear off, we can celebrate Chocolate Mint Day on the 19th. And then the big party night arrives with Mardi Gras on February 24th. I think that is where all the beads are thrown and masks are worn and you cannot be held accountable for anything.


We will close out the month with a spicy celebration of National Chili Day. Hopefully it will be cold and snowy that week so chili will be a welcome treat.

I hope all of you have big plans to celebrate this month. Spring is on its way and this last official month of winter should be fun and memorable.

No comments: