Sunday, July 20, 2008

Summer Treats and Small Projects



Record heat and gas prices are keeping me much closer to home this summer. So to entertain myself I have movies to watch and fun knit projects to work on. Smaller projects are better, especially in wool.



Summer farmer's market in Old Colorado City provided the makings for a fun recipe experiment. Summertash. I created this after a radio DJ shared a bit of trivia about the most hated foods. Number 1 is liver. That I will not dispute. The second is Lima Beans. A show of hands, how many of you hate Limas... Good, that leaves more for me. :-)


Summertash:



Cook and cool frozen baby lima beans

Cook, cool and cut off the cob fresh corn (I used Peaches and Cream from eastern Colorado)

Dice red pepper, red onion

Mix 1/4 cup olive oil with a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar

Toss salad ingredients.

Chill for at least an hour.

Serve with seasonings of your choice - my favorite is Johnny's Seasoning from Safeway or the Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning.



Another summer treat is getting to read (turn pages reading not audio book) a great author like Clive Cussler. His new book, The Chase , is different from his usual NUMA or Oregon File books. It is a historical fiction with lots of facts about Wild West history. A really fun read that I managed to do while knitting.

And I saw Mamma Mia! at the early movie today. It was excellent. Great singing and dancing from all the stars.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I gratefully bequeath my lifetime share of lima beans to you.

Seriously. *shudder*

I had planned to go see Mama Mia this past weekend, but had a terrible headache Friday through Monday. I even drove twice to the movie theater, but just couldn't make myself get out of the car. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and can't wait to see it myself.

Maybe next weekend.