Friday, July 25, 2008

More Summer Fare

One of the joys of reading audio books and knitting is every once in a while I am able to get one of my favorite authors from the library. My favorite light reading is a cozy mystery. My library does not always buy those in audio book format. So I am pleased that they happened to have some of Joanne Fluke's series with Hannah Swensen, the cookie bakery amateur sleuth from the frosty north country of Minnesota. I am thoroughly enjoying Carrot Cake Murder, the 10th in the series. Not only does she make crime solving seem fun but she shares a variety of really yummy recipes and not just for cookies.

In this book she had one for Salmon Cakes and I whipped up a batch this evening for supper to go with cold pork and beans and green beans, with the help of Pedro. It was yummy on a hot summer evening supper. You can make these with canned meats as well. They proved to be easy to fix and goes with other summer fare, like salads plus it keeps you and your kitchen cool.

Salmon Cakes :

6-8 ounce package or can of salmon. If you use the canned version be sure to pick out the bones and skin. Add 2 slices bread, any type, decrusted and torn, 1 egg, 1 tablespoon worstershire sauce, 1 teaspoon dry mustard, dash of salt and pepper, sliced green onion or a dash of onion powder. Mix togehter and shape into patties. Fry until golden brown on both sides, about 10 minutes. Serve with a dollop of cream of celery soup, undiluted and heated. Meat options include: salad shrimp, chicken, or tuna. Since you cannot possibly use up a whole can of soup for sauce, freeze the remainder in an ice cube tray, then bag and mark for future use. This makes three patties.


And while I experimented with this, Pedro was enjoying the basket he has confiscated from me.
I hope your weekend was full of fun things!

No comments: