Thursday, January 3, 2008

Remakes


I know that we all have many varied, highly creative and interesting recipes and ideas of how to use leftover turkey. My question is: how many of you have lots of yummy uses for leftover ham, besides in sandwiches?

From my family's traditional Christmas dinner I went home with a lovely chunk of Black Forest ham and had no real ideas what to do with it for just one person. So I scrounged around in my cupboards and fridge until I came up with an idea. Then the idea involved the grocery store.

One delicious idea is to saute onions and garlic, add cubed ham, a jar of alfredo sauce, a can of sliced mushrooms and frozen peas. Serve over your favorite shape of pasta. I used thin spaghetti and added shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheese to the top with a liberal sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes.

For my mother's table I suggested she get a jar of the double cheese sauce from Ragu (that is the yellow one) and do a similar thing over macaroni noodles to feed the hungry Georgia kids. A version of mac and cheese that does not actually involve a box.

Before I am done I know the leftover ham will make it to my breakfast table one morning and into ramen noodles, another fast favorite of mine.

Hope your post holiday meals are as much fun to make, however easier, than the big feast where all those leftovers are created. Remakes can be even more fun.

No comments: