Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Hand Warmers: Necessary and Lovely

So I should tell the story of getting started on handwarmers and show you some picks of my work. I know, and it is on to KIC swatches. Those cable needles should be here anytime now...



The handwarmer story begins with a pair (one of the first things I did with fingering weight yarn) I made for my mother out of Cascade Fixation. She keeps them at her computer desk at home and says the work really well without being overly warm.


Well, one day my dad complained that his hands were cold. So first they tried the Magic Gloves you can buy in WalMart, they are thin and very stretchy for good flexibility. He said that he still could not work in them because he could not feel what he was doing. So mom offered him the fingerless ones I had made her. She has not see them again except on his hands.


So one day I asked him how those were working for him. He said that they were okay however the end of them closest to his fingers rolled up and did not afford him any warmth on that part of his hand.


So I started looking around for a pattern for fingerless gloves. I found one that will should work, however wanted to knit something faster than all those little half fingers. So while we were visiting Colorful Yarns in Centennial we found a knit sample of the Fetching mitts made famous by Knitty.com. I also found they had the more manly version called Dashing. So I pondered those two choices, knowing I have yet to knit my first cable. Then we visited Purls of Wisdom and Jen shared with me a great spiral rib patterned version of handwrist warmers from CanadianLiving.com. Free pattern and all. I think the link will take you right to the pattern however you may have to sign up for their free newsletter.


I made my first pair just like the pattern called for and they turned out too big for dad, so I have them at work for me to wear. Then I downsized the pattern by using sz 5 needles and less stitches cast on. They are a perfect fit and I do not believe he has had them off since mom took them home to him. I have since made a pair for one of my co-workers and have another pair to finish for the other co-worker.


They are fairly fast to make once you get the hang of the pattern and they work up nicely in a wool blend like Lion Brand Wool Ease. So here is the debut of my other knitting assistants, these would be underlings to the Head Knit Inspector, Pedro, of course. Floxy joins us to show that the knitting has the stamp of approval from sheep and Sir Hops-Alot is keeping a close eye in case he is called upon to assist in the Frog Pond. So far, knock on wood, that has not been necessary and the worst I have had to do is TINK a needle or two for a row gone awry.




Hope you are living your dreams!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is important to have good assistants when knitting. Looks like you have the bases covered.

Fingerless gloves are so handy - I live in mine in my 40 degree office...