Thursday, July 2, 2009

Readers' Burning Question Answered

Little did I realize when I posted the picture of the mini socks with my pattern cheater cards that I would get so many wanting to know where, how, who about them.

Okay, I can share this secret with you..... I made them.

Step 1: Find a pattern that you will probably knit more than once. Such as, basic hats, mittens, fingerless gloves, a particular scarf or shawlette, socks, most of these suggestions are for those who knit gift items that are easily done and much appreciated in the colder climes. The one that is in the picture is for wee tiny socks that I swap on Ravelry and am making some to trade and, for an indie dyer that has a booth, at Sock Summit 2009.

Step 2: Type up the pattern on an Avery template for postcards. I believe the Avery postcards are product #3263 and they are 4 1/4" x 5 1/2".

Step 3: Instead of buying the postcards (because I wanted brightly colored paper) you can prep the template and then use colored card stock to print it onto.

Step 4: Then I used a paper cutter and cut them into the postcard size. Once I had them cut out I took them to Kinko's and had them laminated.

Step 5: Punch a hole in the corner of each card and hang them as a group on a 35mm book ring (I found these at Walmart in the office supply aisle. )

These are so handy and they fit nicely in my little bag that I use for sock knitting.

Currently, for the wee tiny sock pattern, I have the basic instructions plus a card for the Eye of Partridge heel, plus one each for the Spiral Rib and one for Wrap Mock Cable stitch patterns.

I plan to make one for each of the favorite fingerless glove and hat patterns that I seem to make quite often. As well as one for the new baby slipper pattern I found that will be fun to make up out of leftover sock yarn.

Happy Knitting!

P. S. Items shown came from: The Tinkerbell sock bag is from WalMart, Loopy came from The Loopy Ewe, the sock needles are Bryspun size 2 in a 5-inch length and purple devil duck double point protectors are ones I make for my Etsy shop.

PPS. Answer to a veggie question: Peaches and Cream corn is grown in Pueblo and is a hybrid of yellow and white corn. When fresh, it is very sweet and tender. The best corn ever!

No comments: