Friday, July 24, 2009

Heat of the Summer

I think the solution for the heat of the summer is lightweight knitting. (At the end of this post I will add my other solutions to beat the summer heat that are not knitting related).

I have been working on lots of projects this summer so far, most of them for either the shop where I teach as samples or for the upcoming, much touted Sock Summit 2009 event in Portland.

So when I realized that I will need a project, possibly besides a sock, on the needles for the trip to the "Big Show" I started looking at lace ideas. Since I have to be able to carry this item on the plane it cannot be the project shown on July 22nd on Loopy Ewe's blog.

My plan for this project is to work it on DK weight yarn and make a long skinny scarf for summer fun wear. Of course, I have to find yarn in my signature color. I am working on a couple versions of lightweight lace scarves to show different stitch patterns to display in the shop.


My signature color is being set up to knit during the World Record attempt at Sock Summit. When it is done it will be a faux mo in purple glitterspun that is more for fun wear than warmth.


And while I get all these things ready and lined up for future knit projects and SS09, I took a little break to do some fishing. And, as you can see, I caught a "cat"fish. I hope everyone is finding fun ways to beat the heat!


Other solutions: work a job that does not require you to wear a suit jacket and, for the guys, a tie; iced coffee or tea break, drinks with umbrellas, cold food for dinners, someone else's AC (aka shopping mall or Starbuck's) for blogging; trips to high mountain lakes; and a clean house.

How many ideas can you come up with to help beat the heat? I hope you are all cool and happy!

1 comment:

Cathy R said...

Lots and lots of cool showers.

Um, to beat the heat.

You knew that, right?

Oh, and spending time in the basement, which is always cooler.