Wednesday, August 24, 2011

What I Learned Wednesdays - Jogless Stripes

I have been experimenting with jogless stripes on a set of secret projects I am working on. (the pics here are to show the stripes not the project).

One suggested technique for circular knits,  I read it somewhere I cannot remember right now, is to start the stripe color by knitting the first stitch with both colors. After the first round, I do a little finger fiddling when I knit that stitch that is knit with the two colors. It is still noticeable if you look at it really closely, however I see that it does make a difference in the overall look. In the past, I have avoided stripes unless it was on flat knits, like a scarf.


Above, notice the lower stripe, see the jog, and above is the stripe done with a little more finesse to make it jogless. I guess the more practice makes the better and less noticeable attempt at jogless.

The other technique is one that I recently read in my Knitting Daily blog with Kathleen Cubley (the post about Knitted Hats)  Here is how it is described (from the blog, quoted here):
Working stripes is easy, but when you work them in the round, you get a little jog at the beginning of each round. This happens because knitting in the round is actually knitting a spiral, so the new round starts on top of the last stitch of the previous round, which puts it one row up. You don't notice this very much, if at all, when you're working with one color, but when you're working stripes, it's pretty apparent.

Here's a great method for working stripes in the round and avoiding the jog.

Jogless Stripes: When knitting stripes in the round, one of the downfalls is the jump in color where one round transitions to the next. Knit one round in the new color. At the beginning of the next round, insert the right needle tip into the left leg of the stitch in the row below the first stitch of the round (old color stitch) and place this stitch on the left-hand needle, and knit this stitch together with the first stitch of the next round to raise the color of the previous round to the height of the new round. Do this at the beginning of every round that involves a color change.

At the beginning of the next round, insert the right needle tip into the left leg of the stitch in the row below the first stitch of the round (old color stitch) and place this stitch on the left-hand needle, knit this stitch together with the first stitch of the next round to raise the color of the previous round to the height of the new round. Do this at the beginning of every round that involves a color change.


I will be trying this method on the next stripes in circular project that I do, so I can determine which one works the best.

I hope everyone is finding new and better ways to do things~!

No comments: