Saturday, December 20, 2008

The "Piece de Resistance" of Last Minute Holiday Knits


This is the shining-moment piece of knitting for this season.

It is a nightcap for my dad. He mentioned that he has been wearing his beanies to bed on the cold nights and quoted the poem - "Ma in her kerchief and I in my cap". With that said, I went looking for a nightcap pattern to make him one for Christmas.

A pattern for this is not plentiful or popular. I did find a lovely one (far to fancy for regular wear for my dad) at
Knitty.com. It is worth looking at if you are interested. Then I found one that is reminiscent of The Christmas Carol and similar to the one you see Scrooge wearing. This one is plain and utilitarian, mostly what I was looking for.

Of course, it was designed for yarn I could not find, so I rewrote and knit this one as an experimental model. I hope that it will fit him. But, since the pattern was done in plain colored yarn, I decided on December 13th, when I was writing the new pattern, that it needed some dressing up. No pressure, let's design a fair isle snowflake pattern to add to it. I had it knit by the 17th, record time I think.

I am very excited for him to open this gift and try it on. There will be pics posted once that happens. I have plans to make him another one once I am certain that it fits the way it should.

I hope all of you have moments of shining accomplishment this year to reflect upon!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this! My FIL likes to wear nightshirts to bed - I think he needs one of these, too.

Anonymous said...

That is a great hat for your dad! So cute! I love knitting family fun gifts! :)

Anonymous said...

That hat is super fantastic! Love the color work.

You know, my goal was to try/learn fair isle in 2008.

I think that I am going to fail...