Tuesday, October 7, 2008

October Days to Celebrate

Not only is October my favorite month but I have found there are several things to celebrate besides fall leaves, cooler weather, pumpkins and spooky Halloween things.

I picked out a few to mention. We'll start with World Habitat Day on October 6th which I personally celebrated a few days later when I went out with my office to do our annual volunteer work with Habitat for Humanity and got to hang siding on some new homes at the north end of town. Always a good time.

Then there is Angel Food Cake and Cake Decorating Days on October 10th, I can remember my grandmother's first attempt at angel food cake, a family favorite, after moving to Colorado, the high altitude issue. It was decorated as a volcano and it was very tasty.

October 15th brings us National Grouch Day which I am certain many folks will participate in as we continue to watch what is going on in the world.

Next up are some more food days with National Pumpkin Cheesecake Day on October 21st and World Pasta Day on the 25th.

All you married folks can plan to celebrate Mother-in-Law Day on October 26th.

And for a history lesson: The Statue of Liberty was dedicated on October 28, 1886.

Finally, as we get closer to the end of the month we celebrate National Candy Corn Day on October 30th just in time for the big day, Halloween on the last day of the month.

Hope all of you have great ways to celebrate all the good things in life and remember to be spooky!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait.... us grouches only get one DAY???

That doesn't seem fair.

Hee Hee

Anonymous said...

The Wheat Foods Council is celebrating World Pasta Day with a special tribute on their web site called "World of Pastabilities." If you're interested in experiencing the “taste” of pasta in a variety of ethnic cuisines, visit www.wheatfoods.org where you will find educational information and authentic recipes for Italian, Mediterranean, Mexican, North African and Russian pasta dishes!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so happy to know of World Pasta Day! I will make it a daylong celebration. :-)