Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Intarsia or Knitting a Wind Chime

Tonight I joined a brave group of gals at Knitters Kove to learn the color art form of intarsia. This is another technique I need to master for my KIC Level Two.

Once we got our bobbins wound and first row cast on, one gal made the observation that is looked like we were knitting a wind chime. From this picture, I think I have to agree.


The first lesson I learned: do not overwind the round style of bobbins (shown on left). I had wound mine as homework and, being the person I am, did not want to run out of yarn too soon, so I wound them as full as I could get them. Mistake! These bobbins are designed to work best if they can close fully over the yarn to hold it in place. Mine worked for a while, as long as they were laying on the table. But as soon as I let them hang in place where I could work with them, they leapt for the floor and proceeded to roll away, unwinding a large length of yarn as they went. Lesson learned and remembered - check!

I went home and decided that I would try some other bobbins that my mom had brought me to use for this project. I traded the fuller of the round ones for the flat, H-shaped ones and now, not only do I have better fiber control, but, also, a more interesting and eye-catching "wind chime" to work on.

I will check in again to let you know how I like this version of colorwork.

I have to say that leaving the day job and joining a class in something I love was a great way to end the day and decompress.

Hope you are pursuing the things that bring you joy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my. How ever do you keep Pedro away from the tempting dangly bobbins...

I believe that would strain the patience of my pair, and they are fairly well behaved when it comes to yarn.

Looks like a fun project, though.