Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Red Alert: It is Gift Knitting Season!


Sheri at Loopy Ewe brought this to to my full attention with her post about gift knitting on September 11th. It is only 86 days til holiday time. Egads!

It is time for the gift knitting list. Now, mark my words, I am usually six months ahead with gift planning, in fact, last year I started my gift knitting with a rousing round of Ravelympics projects in August. This year, not doing so well. In fact, I have not even written the gift knitting list...OMG.

To remind myself that, yes indeed, it is time, I stopped last week on my way home from the shop where I teach and took this picture of the fall colors that are getting brighter every day.

With this in mind, I began my list today. I won't be knitting for everyone this year because there is not enough time. However for those who I know will appreciate and use my efforts regularly I will be knitting handy warming items to help them get through the cold winter ahead. I ahve been sifting through my pattern collection to find the things I will need to buy yarn for. May get some of it at the upcoming Taos Wool Festival.

I am sure some will ask where do I get my ideas for gift knits? My favorite places to date are Ravelry and the Loopy Ewe - I ordered patterns for cowls and handwarmers (ssssh) that are beautiful, take about a skein of yarn to complete both items and let me practice some lace knitting techniques in the round.

My other favorite gift knitting inspiration is the One Skein Books. I own at least four and find them to be full of ideas that I can either change up what kind of yarn to use or find an item that most folks would not think to knit for themselves.

I love the ideas for spa baskets and lingerie drawer sachets, ipod and cell phone cozies, hats, mittens and all manner of scarves.


So now I am ready to knit gifts. I hope all of you are finding fun ways to show your loved ones that you care!

1 comment:

Cathy R said...

I really need to knit an ipod cozy for my ipod nano. My shirts don't have pockets, and I get strange looks from the professors and students when I store it in the next obvious place.

WHAT???