Monday, November 16, 2009

Finished Object: You Are A Star - Fair Isle Hat


The Fair Isle hat that I just completed is for a class in January that I am offering to learn how to do the two-handed Fair Isle method touted by Ann of Philosopher's Wool. I taught it to myself when I took a Fair Isle class a couple of years ago and it was being taught in the traditional method.


I really like the ease of keeping your dominate yarn color under control and consistent with the pattern. Along with this sample knit, I designed my own pattern to make the hat have stars on it. And I used a tweedy effect yarn as the background color and a shiny, soft yarn for the stars. It turned out really cute and it will be at the shop for display after Thanksgiving weekend. The other hat pictured, the green and yellow one, will be on display as well and is done with aspen leaves.

My next ideas are to design a snowflake hat that is open at the top so it can be convertible for neck and head warmth and a barnyard of animal shapes to march around a hat for kids (and adults) for the farmer in you.

I hope everyone is finding great ways to pursue their passions!

No comments: